Tuesday 7 May 2013

2013 Libris Awards

 
The River City, Eyewitness Document has been selected for the Libris Awards at Artspace Mackay which will be opened on Saturday 11 May and continues until 30 June.
 
This book documents the 2011 flood in Brisbane.  I digitally manipulated photographs I had taken in the Yeronga/Fairfield area showing the river inundating houses and parkland, the thick residual mud, and the mud covered debris piled up on footpaths. The book is an overall expression of these heartbreaking images and of the horror experienced by the flood-affected residents.  
 
The long brown expanding structure of multiple concertinas sewn together, suggests the river itself and photographs of the mud and debris are contained within the structure, just as the real objects were submerged within the expanding river.  I am hoping that the book will be exhibited as I intended, as this sculptural display is part of the concept.

7 comments:

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

That's an incredible piece, Helen. I wish I could see it in person. Indeed, I hope it gets displayed as intended so it can be best understood. It's great that'll it'll be in the exhibit.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

... Hmm... ... that it'll be in the exhibit. Serves me right for catching up on my blog reading just before bed!

Jacobus (Jack) Oudyn said...

A beautifully crafted book which deserves to be shown as designed.Let's hope Mackay does the right thing.

Roberta Warshaw said...

I only wish I could see it up close. It looks like an amazing piece of art.

Elizabeth Banfield said...

Helen, what a beautiful piece, and so powerful and moving too. I wish I could see it.

Fiona Dempster said...

I am lucky to have seen it in the flesh (behind glass) and displayed properly I think Helen and it is a wonderful piece. I hope it is displayed in all its glory and fingers crossed for Mackay!

ersimarina said...

I envy Fiona and all those who get the chance to see it up close. Powerful work and beautifully crafted.