Monday, 29 October 2012
My second edition for Book Art Object is finished and books have been posted out today to members of Group 10 (and a few friends I am exchanging books with).
I decided to work with the idea of a charter as an official written document of government as well as a contract executed between two parties - the US Government and soldiers serving on its behalf.
After the members of Group 10 have received their books in the mail, I will post some images and write about the making of the book.
Monday, 8 October 2012
My second book for Book Art Object is #56 Unchartered Democracy (Group 10).
I've had the pages prepared and some heavy card I'm using cut for about the last month, but I've had other things to work on and haven't made a start putting the edition together. However, today's the day, and I'm just about to start now.
Tuesday, 2 October 2012
This fine binding style was developed by Sun Evrard in France in 1984. Despite its name, it can be quite complex and demanding. It differs from a traditional case binding in that the bookblock is rounded but not backed, the hollow book spine is affixed to the bookblock before the boards which are bevelled to zero at the spine side and finished before they are attached. It is a versatile binding and can be made with clean cut edges, thus suiting a variety of cover materials.
I first learned the binding from John Tonkin of Canberra in a four day workshop in 1996. John had studied bookbinding in Europe and had learned the binding from Sun Evrard. This is the book we made with a leather spine and leather foredge and it contains John's instructions on how to make the binding - mine has been well used!
A few years ago I did another 2 day workshop with John and Joy Tonkin in Brisbane and we made a Simplified binding with clean cut edges and exposed leather tapes.
Now to continue with the binding of the four books containing my father in law's story. In my last post on bookbinding, I had sewn the signatures of four books onto ramieband tapes. The next step was to glue the spine with PVA, trim the tapes and then fray them out and glue them down. The back was gently rounded and readymade headbands were glued into place.
I cut the leather for the spine and pared the edges as thin as I could
The spine pieces were glued at the sides to the bookblock and then the books were placed between working boards and clamped
As I had prepared the covers to have clean cut edges rather than turned in covers, the exposed edges were painted with black acrylic paint. The inside of the boards were infilled with the torn off piece of the first sheet to create a smooth surface and the endpapers were tipped in and glued into place. Finally the title was prepared and glued to the cover.