Sunday 14 November 2021

The What and Why

     I received a request from Sarah Bodman, Senior Research Fellow for Artists Books at the University of the West of England, Bristol, UK about my book That Unbearable Lightness.

This book was made in 2012 as part of the Book Art Object Project.  A complete set of BAO books made by participants were sent to Sarah Bodman and are held in the Bower Ashton Library at UWE.     

 

Library and teaching staff at UWE have had the idea of making some short one minute videos about  some of the artists' books in their collections to use as a teaching tool so that students can get an idea of 'the what and why' of these books.  On the proposed videos, Sarah plans to handle the book whilst talking about it and the artist's practice.   The videos would then be published on the library website and be readily accessible by the students.

 I was delighted to be asked permission for my book to be filmed and to be included in such a great resource for book arts students.

I wrote some posts about the making of this book back in 2012.   

You can find them here (working on structure) here (the concept) and here (making the book).


3 comments:

dinahmow said...

That's a lovely thing to do!
I look forward to having some of the books I have on display again...

Helen M said...

I agree Di, it's lovely that our books take on a new life of their own.

Jacobus (Jack) Oudyn said...

Who would have thought at the time that some of those little books would have such great use. Just as well we still blog or we wouldn't know about these rewarding results.