Wednesday 19 April 2023

The River City



The River City: Eyewitness Document 2011, the book I made about the 2011 floods in Brisbane is currently on display in an exhibition in the Australian Library of Art Showcase at the State Library of Queensland.  The library have named the exhibition The River City after the title of my book because most of the artists featured in the exhibition have a connection to Brisbane.  The exhibition dates are 24 February to 27 August 2023.

The photos used in the book were put together from so many I took walking around Yeronga -the suburb where I live, and the neighbouring suburb Fairfield.

A state library blog post about the book can be found here.






 

4 comments:

Fiona Dempster said...

That is fabulous news Helen! I hope we can get down to see it. Go well.

Helen M said...

Thanks Fiona. I saw it on display just the other day. Hope all is going well with you.

Jacobus (Jack) Oudyn said...

What a beautiful book even though it was difficult to get a really good look, the display was so dark and low to the ground. (May be my ageing back and diminishing eyesight.) I'm so glad I didn't miss it.

Helen M said...

Thank you Jack, I agree they always have the displays in that room in very low light. I liked the way that you could look down on the structure of the book and see the shape of the river. It's always interesting to see how other people choose to display your book isn't it?